Henderson Valley’s Mountain Walkway is complete and the latest reported costs have doubled from original estimate of $285,000 to a reported $600,000.
Yet to start, Oratia’s Walkway and School Crossings Project were originally allocated $400,000 when project estimates doubled in April and allocated an additional $300,000 for design and construction.
Local Board Member, Greg Presland, said that the Mountain Road project blowout could put the Oratia Cycleway at risk although it was likely the crossing at the Hall would still continue.
The projects come from the Board’s local Transport Capital Budget of $1.4 Million, of which $1.1 million must be spent by end of June 2016 or potentially lost. The big recipients were Henderson Valley’s Mountain Rd Walkway ($600k completed), Oratia’s West Coast Road Cycleway and Schools Crossing ( $400,000k then $818k – Project status: consultation stage ) and design for a Glen Eden Park and Ride design $139k (completed).
Auckland Transports’ Oratia Cycleway Project page reports the project is due for start construction Mid June. There is not yet a tender on GETS tender board.
The $1.1 Million must be spent by end of June – Will the Oratia Project be Done?
Timeline of Transport Capital Situation so far:
Local Transport Report Dates:
- 12 March, 2015
- Local Board has a Transport Capital Budget of $1.4 Million
- $1.1 Million must be spent by June 2016
- 24 September,2015
- Board approves $400k for Oratia Cycleway and Crossings and
- $280k for Mountain Road Walkway
- 10 December, 2015
- Board approves additional $185k for Mountain Rd Walkway = Total costs now $470k . –
(Cost increase due to “resource consent, traffic management, retaining walls, miscalculation of quantities of construction materials) – Project involves removing trees in an SEA. The project involved an Environmental effects report and to consult with IWI for a cultural impact statement. This resulted in conditions for mitigation works which are required to be carried out as part of the project.)
Public Excluded from Local Board Capital Report portion of the Meeting.
(Reason s7(2)(h) – The withholding of the information is necessary to enable the local authority to carry out, without prejudice or disadvantage, commercial activities. In particular, disclosure of the selection of main contractor for the constructon of Mountain Road would compromise council’s sensitive information obtained during a competitive tender process)
- 24 March, 2016
- Local Board Capital Report. No change.
- 1 April, 2016
- Auckland Transport’s Awarded Contracts report shows Mountain Road $464,503.67 to Traffic Systems Ltd.
- 14 April, 2016
- Prices for Mountain Road Walkway have jumped by another $115k no explanation. – Mountain Road Walkway now reported $600k
- “Costings for Oratia project jump from $400k to $818k!
- The Board resolve in the minutes to allocate an additional $300,000 to the Oratia project, and AT gives $85k in addition to the original $430k allocated. Total Cost Estimate now : $818k
(Explanation: Final design and cost estimate for the West Coast Road Walking & Cycling safety improvements have a total cost of close to $818k. This is to implement all of the five proposed components related to this project. An additional $85k has been committed from AT’s Road Safety budget to cover the cost of implementing the proposed crossing outside the Settler’s Hall and associated gateway treatment on West Coast Road. The local board will need to allocate an extra of $300k from their LBTCF to cover the balance to construct this project.)
- 26 May, 2016
- Waitakere Local Board 26 May Meeting Cancelled. Other boards , late May meetings contain the May Transport Capital Report. The next business meeting will be Thursday 9 June.
Author: Penny Sparks.